Thursday, February 22, 2007

Mustang Nikki

I often watch that Sweet 16 show on MTV, and I'm amazed at how bratty some of the kids are.

In case you haven't seen the show, it shows rich, soon-to-be-16-year-olds planning their Sweet 16 parties. Many of them spent tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Of course most of them get very expensive cars for birthday gifts.

The problem I have with many of the children on the show is just how EXTREMELY bratty some of them are. I guess if you've been given things all of your life, you learn that all you have to do is kick, scream, and whine for what you want, and VOILA, it's yours. I think that if I had that kind of money, I would definitely give my children nice things. But they would have to work hard for them.

I can't help but remember my first car.

I got it when I was in high school (1987-1991). It was a navy blue 1970-something Ford Mustang that had been sitting in a family friend's backyard-probably since the 1970s. It had EXQUISITE, cracked vinyl seats and a fantastic HIGH TECH AM radio. It was adorned with the most beautiful rust spots. Not to mention the huge white splotch on the hood (it looked like someone had tossed bleach on it). There was a fashionable tan racing stripe on each side. The engine made a beautifully loud knocking sound, and it was lightning fast:

0-60mph in just under 10 minutes.

My brother would ride to school with me sometimes and duck down in the passenger seat so that no one at school would see him in that car. Despite its many faults, I loved it. I mean, I went from catching the BUS to school one day to DRIVING A CAR the next, so I was highly appreciative.

0 comments: