Wednesday, February 21, 2007

...Of "Renises" and Graph Paper

I often receive junk mail from companies promising to make my p---s (um, rhymes with "renis") larger.

And I'm often offended by their presumptions.

I mean, how come they automatically assume that mine isn't big enough?


They don't even know me.


_____________________________________________________________________________________




I've been working on one of my design submissions and I'm pleased to say that it's going as scheduled.

If you've never had the pleasure of designing a sweater for yourself, I suggest you do it.

And get thyself some graph paper, honey.

You can get some from here (a Japanese/English knitting site), or here, or here (choose the "Asymmetric Graph Paper Generator").

Above you see graph paper (I got mine from the Japanese site) that has the back of my sweater drawn on it. I plotted the entire back, stitch-by-stitch (using each square to represent one stitch).

Plotting your designs on graph paper before you even put needle-to-yarn allows you to see the relationship between different parts of your design and make any corrections. Believe me, erasing a mistake in a design is much better than having to frog a mistake. And as Deborah Newton says in her book, "Designing Knitwear", it allows you to "knit" the piece before you actually sit down to knit the piece. I don't know what I would have done without it. It is especially useful if you're writing a pattern for multiple sizes because, once you have plotted your first size, you can use different colored pencils to plot the design for different sizes.

And here are the books I have in my library that I constantly referred to:






They can all be found at amazon.com. Many of you probably already have them.

0 comments: