Friday, October 12, 2007

Fredenburg


The Front of "Fredenburg"


I'd been neglecting my knitting projects for so long that, when I finally sat at my desk to design and swatch a baby sweater for my friend Kristianna, I felt like I'd come home again. My fingers longed for the motions and I didn't realize that it would feel THAT good to knit again.

Kristi and I were talking on the phone the other day and I found out that she is now 31 weeks pregnant. Almost there. And I reminded her that it's going to hurt.

Like hell.

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies, but with all the screaming I hear the laboring ladies do, I can infer that it's no damned walk in the park. I can also infer that this screaming is different than the screaming one might do when you're in the process of getting the baby makin' process going. IfyouknowwhatImean.


Pattern Close-up



Some of the Softest Yarn You'll Ever Touch



So, I was driving home from Hancock Fabrics after our conversation and thinking about the pain that my girl was going to go through (I hate to see the people I care about in pain. I cried when I saw my cousin Denise in labor.). And I said a little prayer for her. And it went a little something like this:

Dear God,

Please make sure that Kristi's baby doesn't have a big head. And if she has to be in pain, let it be for like 30 seconds. I think that's long enough to get the point across. Oh, and please give Kristi a little extra elasticity in her "special area" so that if the baby does have a humongous head, it just slides out.

Amen.

That's how I talk to God. I keeps it real.

This design will be named "Fredenburg", (pronounced FREEdenburg) for little Baby Fredenburg.

0 comments: