Saturday, December 22, 2007

PotASSium

I was sitting at the computer last night when I got really dizzy. I got up to go to the kitchen to get a glass of water, got very dizzy, my vision went black, and I felt like I was going to lose consciousness.

I stumbled to the bedroom to lie down and knocked over the garbage can in the process. It freaked me out so badly that I thought that I should go to the emergency room.

I called Elizabeth (a.k.a. Nunchuck) at "what-the-hell?-o'clock" in the morning to come over to take me to the hospital.

The Results: Because of all the water loss from the diarrhea (sorry for the TMI) I had from eating that tainted food, I was severely dehydrated. Oh, and my potassium level was low, which caused the dizziness. The nurse told me that that was typical. Then he said that he remembers that little fact by saying to himself:

"Potassium comes out your Ass-ium".

Now, Nunchuck promises to recite that to me every time she sees me.

Great.

I'm much better now, thanks to the fluids they gave me last night and the massive amounts of water I've been drinking...along with the Pedialyte to restore my electrolytes. I am recovering slowly, but surely. I don't wish this on anyone.

Thanks Nunchuck for leaving your warm home to take me to the hospital. You don't know how much that meant to me.

0 comments: